I have a son with mild Autism and MR. One insurer I recently applied to required a 350% up-rating of his rate. Other that his condition, he does not require any more meds or get sick any more or less than any other child in his school. This is just plain…
To stop spiraling health insurance rates, we urge state officials to review rate increases for reasonableness, disclose an insurer’s rate calculations, and give consumers a voice in the review process. Policyholders have saved millions in states with a strong rate review process. Use this information to push for a better rate review process in your own state.
California Health Care Reform
- Creating a Consumer Friendly Reference Pricing Program (August 2014) This paper provides a set of consumer protection principles intended to ensure that insurers and others maintain consumers’ access to affordable, quality care and an adequate network of providers when implementing a reference pricing program.
- Get In Under the Wire: Affordable Health Insurance for Those with COBRA Coverage (June 2014) For a limited time−through July 15, 2014−Californians currently enrolled in a health plan under COBRA will be eligible to buy coverage through Covered California.
- CU Comment: Joint Comments from Consumers Union and other California Advocates on Covered California's New Proposed Regulations on Special Enrollment Periods (May 2014) Joint comments from Consumers Union, Health Access, and Western Center on Law and Poverty, opposing Covered California’s new proposed regulations on special enrollment periods, unless further amended to allow self-attestation.
- CU Letter: Joint Letter Commenting on Covered California's Request for Information on Web-based Entities (March 2014) Consumers Union and other California advocates offer comments on Covered California’s Request for Information on the potential costs and benefits of web-based entities.
- Getting Signed Up: Mia from California (February 2014) “This is the first time I’ve had health insurance, real health insurance, since my oldest daughter was born,” said Mia. “It’s such a relief.”
- CU Letter: Joint Letter Commenting on Covered California's Certified Application Counselor Regulations (February 2014) Consumers Union and other California advocates offer comments on Covered California’s February 2014 Certified Application Counselor Regulations.
- Doing the Numbers: Estimating Your Income When Buying Health Insurance on Your State’s Marketplace (January 2014) Consumers Union has developed a fact sheet to help you report and, if needed, verify your income when applying for insurance coverage through Healthcare.gov or your states Marketplace.
- CU Blog: Getting Signed Up: Tom from California (January 2014) “We are saving about 50% – and getting better coverage for half the cost.”
- CU Blog: Getting Signed Up: Richard from California (January 2014) Richard J. from Sacramento, California couldn’t afford insurance – until California expanded Medicaid eligibility under the Affordable Care Act.
- Reporting Your Income When Buying Health Insurance on Your State’s Marketplace (January 2014) These FAQs from Consumers Union will explain what you need to know when filing your ACA health insurance application and, if necessary, how to verify your income down the road.
California Health Information Technology
- Achieving the Right Balance: Privacy and Security Policies to Support Electronic Health Information Exchange (June 2012) Consumers Union and the Center for Democracy and Technology issue brief on privacy and security electronic health information exchange (HIE). Available from the California Healthcare Foundation (CHCF)
- Patient and consumer principles for health information exchange (Spanish) Los EE.UU. lanzaron un esfuerzo para asegurar que cada persona tiene una historia clínica electrónica para el año 2014.
- Patient and consumer principles for health information exchange The U.S. launched an effort to ensure every person has an electronic health record by 2014. Patient and consumer organizations have developed core principles for electronic health information exchange in California and nationwide.
Safety and Quality
- Visit the California page on our sister site, SafePatientProject.org.